Place:


Parkgate  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Parkgate like this:

PARKGATE, a village in Great Neston parish, Cheshire; on the estuary of the Dee, at the terminus of the Hooton and Parkgate railway, ¾ of a mile N W of Great Neston. It was once a considerable port, and a packetstation; but it suffered desertion of most of its business, in consequence of a shoaling-up of its harbour; it now isfrequented as a watering place, and consists mostly of lodging-houses arranged in a long and irregular row; and it has a post-office under Chester, a railway station, a schoolchurch, a Presbyterian chapel, and a boarding-school.

Additional information about this locality is available for Neston

Parkgate through time

Parkgate is now part of Ellesmere Port and Neston district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ellesmere Port and Neston has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Parkgate itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Parkgate, in Ellesmere Port and Neston and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25648

Date accessed: 22nd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Parkgate ".