Place:


Tewkesbury  Gloucestershire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Tewkesbury like this:

Tewkesbury.-- mun. bor., market town, and par., Gloucestershire, on river Avon, at its confluence with the Severn, 9 miles NW. of Cheltenham and 114 miles from London by rail, 2619 ac., pop. 5100; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks, 2 newspapers. Market-days, Wednesday and Saturday. Tewkesbury is famed for its fine parish church, a most interesting example of Norman architecture, and all that remains of the celebrated monastery of Tewkesbury, founded in 715. ...


It is also famed as the scene of the great battle (1471) which placed the crown on the head of Edward IV. The mfrs., once considerable, have greatly declined; they are now chiefly cotton stockings, lace, and silk. The trade is mostly agricultural. Tewkesbury was incorporated by Elizabeth in 1574; it returned 2 members to Parliament from 1609 until 1867, and 1 member from 1867 until 1885.

Tewkesbury through time

Click here for graphs and data of how Tewkesbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics for historical units named after Tewkesbury go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tewkesbury in Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/516

Date accessed: 17th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tewkesbury ".