Place:


Angmering  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Angmering like this:

ANGMERING, a parish in Worthing district, Sussex; on the South Coast railway, 4 miles SE of Arundel. It has a station on the railway, a post office‡ under Arundel, and a fair on 3 July. Acres, 3,150. Real pro perty, £6,352. Pop., 953. Houses, 193. Angmering Park belongs to the Duke of Norfolk. ...


Ham House is the seat of W. K. Gratwicke, Esq. New Place, now inhabited by work-people, was the seat of Sir Edward Palmer in the time of Henry VIII., and the birthplace of his three sons, who all were knighted. The living is a rectory and a vicarage-rectory of East Angmering, vicarage of West Angmering-in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £258.* Patron, Sir G. R. Pechell, Bart. East Angmering church has disappeared. West Angmering church, excepting the tower and small part of the chancel, was rebuilt in 1852. There are an Independent chapel and a free school.

Angmering through time

Angmering is now part of Arun district. Click here for graphs and data of how Arun has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Angmering itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Angmering, in Arun and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8179

Date accessed: 15th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Angmering ".