Place:


Lyminster  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lyminster like this:

LEOMINSTER, or LYMINSTER, a parish in Worthing district, Sussex; on the South Coast railway, at the quondam Arundel station, 1½ mile E of Ford Junction station, near the river Arun, and 2 miles SSE of Arundel. It contains the hamlets of Crossbush, Toddington, and Wick; and includes the tything of Warningcamp. ...


Post town, Arundel. Acres, 3,586. Real property, £8,305. Pop. in 1851,794; in 1861,908. Houses, 188. The increase of pop. arose partly from the facility with which freehold land is obtained for building purposes, and partly from the proximity of the parish to the port of Littlehampton. Leominster House is the seat of T. Evans, Esq.; Brookfield, of E.Holmes, Esq.; Crossbush, of R. Upfold, Esq.; and Dover Hall, ofBeauclerk, Esq. A small nunnery was here in the Saxon times; became a priory of Benedictine nuns, under the abbey of Almanasche in Normandy; and was given, by Henry VI., to Eton college. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £350.* Patron, the Bishop of London. The church is very ancient; includes transition Norman and early English portions: and has a very lofty chancel arch, and a square tower. A church was once in Warningcamp, but has entirely disappeared. There is a free school for Leominster and Rustington.

Lyminster through time

Lyminster is now part of Arun district. Click here for graphs and data of how Arun has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lyminster itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lyminster, in Arun and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8817

Date accessed: 15th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lyminster ".