Place:


Storrington  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Storrington like this:

STORRINGTON, a village and a parish in Thakeham district, Sussex. The village stands 4¼ miles E by N of Amberley r. station, and 6½ NE of Arundel; consists of a long street, with another going off at right angles; and has a post-office‡ under Hurstperpoint, a fortnightly corn market on Tuesday, and fairs on 13 May and 11 Nov. ...


The parish contains also the hamlet of Cootham, and comprises 3,264 acres. Real property, £4,911. Pop., 1,104. Houses, 218. The property is divided among a few. Parham House, Fryern House, Cootham House, and Cobb Court are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £600.* Patron, the Duke of Norfolk. The church is good. There are an endowed school with £30 a year, and charities £39.

Storrington through time

Storrington is now part of Horsham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Horsham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Storrington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Storrington, in Horsham and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9027

Date accessed: 15th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Storrington ".