Place:


Washington  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Washington like this:

WASHINGTON, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Thakeham district, Sussex. The village stands 4½ miles WNW of Steyning r. station, and has a post-office under Hurstperpoint. The parish comprises 3,162 acres. Real property, £4,232; of which £53 are in quarries. Pop., 908. ...


Houses, 186. The property is divided chiefly among four. Highden House belongs to SirGoring, Bart; and Rowdell House, to MajorF. Sandham. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £200.* Patron, Magdalen College, Oxford. The church was restored in 1867.—The sub-district contains 9 parishes. Acres, 22,535. Pop., 4,189. Houses, 815.

Washington through time

Washington is now part of Horsham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Horsham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Washington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Washington, in Horsham and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9054

Date accessed: 15th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Washington ".