Place:


Littlehampton  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Littlehampton like this:

HAMPTON (LITTLE), a seaport town, a parish, and a sub-district in Worthing district, Sussex. The town stands at the month of the river Arun, and at the terminus of a short branch of the South Coast railway, 3½ miles S by E of Arundel. A battle was fought here, or in the near neighbourhood, in 837, between Wulfherd and certain Danish pirates; and the empress Matilda landed here, in 1139, on her way to Arundel Castle. ...


Little Hampton was anciently the haven of Arundel; and it recently was made the head port of Arundel, and the seat of the custom house. Its trade, as a port, is considerable; and its inland navigation communicates, through the Wey and Arun canal, with the Thames at Weybridge. Its harbour has a pier and jetties; and, though dry at low water, has a depth of 8 feet or more at high water. A lighthouse was erected at the entrance, in 1848; and has a fixed light, 30 feet high. A fort, on the most approved principles, mounting five 68-pounders, besides mortars, was recently constructed on the W side. The ground there also was appropriated as encamping ground for rifle practice; and huts suitable for it were erected in 1862. A weekly market is held on Thursday; and a pleasure fair, on 26 May. A regatta and races are held annually, and attract a large concourse of spectators. The town has recently come into favour also as a watering place; and it possesses good advantages of retirement, salubrity, mild climate, rural environs, and a fine beach, -the last merging into sands, dry at loW water, and so firm that carriages may travel on them to Worthing. The town has a post office‡ under Arundel, a railway station with telegraph, two banking offices, a good hotel, assembly rooms, a parish church, two dissenting chapels, a Roman Catholic chapel, and a national school. The assembly rooms are used, not only for their own proper purpose, but also for lectures and exhibitions. The parish church was rebuilt in 1825, at a cost of £3, 000; is in the pointed style; and contains 1, 200 sittings. The Wesleyan chapel was built in 1825. The Independent chapel was built in 1 861; and is in the early decorated English style. The Roman Catholic chapel was built in 1863, at the expense of the Duchess of Norfolk; includes church and presbytery; and is in the decorated English style. The parish comprises 1, 102 acres of land and 120 of water; and is regarded as conterminate with the town. Real property, £10, 805; of which £85 are in gas works. Pop., 2, 350. Houses, 497. The living is a vicarage in tb e diocese of Chichester. Value, £150. Patron, the Bishop of Chichester.—The sub-district contains also eleven other parishes and part of another. Acres, 19, 882. Pop., 6, 737. Houses, 1, 369.

Littlehampton through time

Littlehampton is now part of Arun district. Click here for graphs and data of how Arun has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Littlehampton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Littlehampton, in Arun and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/961

Date accessed: 15th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Littlehampton ".