Place:


Edale  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Edale like this:

EDALE, a township-chapelry in Castleton parish, Derby: on a stream of its own name, 2 miles NW of Castleton, and 6 ENE of Chapel-in-le-Frith r. station. Post town, Castleton, under Sheffield. Real property, £3, 150. Pop., 386. Houses, 76. The property is sub-divided. Edale river rises near Edale rocks, and runs along a pastoral valley to the river Noe at Edale End. ...


The manufacture of thread and lace is carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £126.* Patrons, Trustees. The church is good; and there is a Wesleyan chapel. A school has £14 from endowment; and other charities £19.

Edale through time

Edale is now part of High Peak district. Click here for graphs and data of how High Peak has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Edale itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Edale, in High Peak and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5555

Date accessed: 25th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Edale ".