Place:


North Ferriby  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described North Ferriby like this:

FERRIBY (North), a township and a parish in Scul-coates district, E. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the Humber, and on the Hull and Selby railway, at Ferriby station, 7½ miles W by S of Hull; and has a post office under Brough. Acres, 1, 934; of which 324 are water. Real property, £3, 320. ...


Pop., 434. Houses, 85. The parish contains also the township of Swanland. Acres, 6, 052; of which 1, 242 are water. Real property, £9, 447. Pop., 948. Houses, 190. The manor was desolated by the Danes; belonged afterwards to the Mortimers; and passed to the De la Poles and the Bacons. A preceptory of Knights Templars was founded here in 1200, by Eustace de Vesci; became afterwards an Augustinian priory; and has completely disappeared. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £163. Patron, W. W. Wilkinson, Esq. The church is modern; and there is a Primitive Methodist chapel. An endowed school has £30; and other charities £33.

North Ferriby through time

North Ferriby is now part of East Riding of Yorkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Riding of Yorkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about North Ferriby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of North Ferriby, in East Riding of Yorkshire and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12577

Date accessed: 20th July 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "North Ferriby".