Place:


Hessle  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hessle like this:

HESSLE, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Sculcoates district, E. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the Humber, at the ferry to Barton, and on the Hull and Selby railway, 4½ miles W by S of Hnll; and has a station on the railway, and a post office‡ under Hnll. The parish comprises 2, 410 acres of land, and 1, 500 of water. ...


Real property, £10, 464; of which £470 are in quarries. Pop., 1, 625. Houses, 364. The property is subdivided. The manor belonged to the Stutvilles; was given by them to the canons of Watton; and passed to the Wakes and others. Hessle-Wood Hall is a chief residence. There are two whiting manufactories. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £303.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is very good; and there are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £126.—The sub-district includes also three townships of Kirk-Ella. Acres, 7, 480. Pop., 2, 522. Houses, 563.

Hessle through time

Hessle is now part of East Riding of Yorkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Riding of Yorkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hessle itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hessle, in East Riding of Yorkshire and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/206

Date accessed: 20th July 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hessle".