Place:


St Cross  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described St Cross like this:

CROSS (St.), or Cross-Hospital (St.), an extra-parochial place in Winchester district, Hants; on the river Itchin, 1 mile W of Winchester. It has a post office under Winchester. Pop., 36. House, 1. An hospital here was founded, in 1132, by Bishop de Blois, and renovated, in 1444, by Cardinal Beaufort; has now an income of £1, 088, besides large fines on renewal of leases; maintains 13 poor men, who wear each a long black gown and a silver cross; gives weekly and general doles to other poor persons; and comprises a grand group of ancient buildings. ...


The great gateway is surmounted by a statue of Beaufort. The entrance-court has some ancient offices, now used as a stable, and remains of a large building, called the Hundred Men's Hall. The refectory, on the south side of the great quadrangle, has an old timber roof and a minstrel's gallery, and contains a triptych of the adoration of the Magi. The ambulatory, on the east side of the quadrangle, is 135 feet long. The church, on the south side, is cruciform, partly early English, chiefly transition Norman, with a central tower one story high; measures 150 feet from east to west, and 120 along the transepts; and has Tudor stalls, encaustic tiles, stained windows, a fine brass of Archdeacon Campden, and a monument to Mr. Speaker Cornwall.

St Cross through time

St Cross is now part of Winchester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Winchester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about St Cross itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of St Cross, in Winchester and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21614

Date accessed: 26th February 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " St Cross ".