Place:


Barrowfield  Lanarkshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Barrowfield like this:

Barrowfield, a suburb of Glasgow, in Calton parish, Lanarkshire, on what was the Burgh Moor, adjacent to the Clyde, at the south-western extremity of the city. Standing compact with Bridgeton, it is a dingy, smoky seat of factories and other works, with a chapel of ease and a Church of Scotland mission station. The Regent Murray, in 1568, encamped his army on the site of Barrowfield, and there received accessions of recruits and provisions from the city on the eve of his march to the field of Langside.

The location is approximately the middle of Barrowfield Street. Note that despite Groome and Bartholomew, Barrowfield is clearly in the south-east of Glasgow, not the south-west.

Barrowfield through time

Barrowfield is now part of Glasgow district. Click here for graphs and data of how Glasgow has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Barrowfield itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Barrowfield, in Glasgow and Lanarkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22345

Date accessed: 26th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Barrowfield ".