Place:


Blackhill  Lanarkshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Blackhill like this:

Blackhill, a place in Barony parish, Lanarkshire, on the Monkland Canal, 2 miles E of Glasgow. The canal here makes a rise of 96 feet; and it effects the elevation partly by two sets of four double locks, each set worked independently of the other, and partly by an inclined plane, with rails 1040 feet long, worked by steam-power traction- The inclined plane was constructed, as a supplement to the locks, in 1850; and it takes up empty boats in caissons, thus making a vast saving of time and water.

The location is that of Blackhill Locks, still visible on the OS New Popular map but now replaced by the M8 motorway. The name "Blackhill" is barely visible in this location on the OS First Series map.

Blackhill through time

Blackhill is now part of Glasgow district. Click here for graphs and data of how Glasgow has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Blackhill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Blackhill, in Glasgow and Lanarkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22347

Date accessed: 26th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Blackhill ".