Place:


Great Strickland  Westmorland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Strickland like this:

STRICKLAND (Great and Little), two townships in Morland parish, Westmoreland; 4¼ miles N of Shap-Acres, 2,265 and 772. Real property, £1,856 and £845. Pop., 308 and 114. Houses, 57 and 22. Great S. belonged to the Stricklands till the time of Henry VI., and passed to the Fallow fields; and it was the birth-place, in 1396, of Bishop de Strickland. Little S. belonged to the Crackenthorpes.

Great Strickland through time

Great Strickland is now part of Eden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Strickland itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Strickland, in Eden and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3219

Date accessed: 22nd September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Strickland ".