Place:


Bradwell  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bradwell like this:

BRADWELL, a township in Hope parish, Derby; under the Peak, 2 miles SE of Castleton. It has a post office under Sheffield. Real property, £2,622. Pop., 1,304. Houses, 297. Some of the inhabitants are cotton-workers; but more are employed in lead and calamine mines. A stalactitic cavern includes numerous chambers, and extends upwards of 400 yards. Traces of a Roman camp occur at Brough castle; and Roman tiles, coins, and other relics have been found there. The township has a school-church, Wesleyan, Primitive Methodist, and Unitarian chapels, and charities £8.

Bradwell through time

Bradwell is now part of Derbyshire Dales district. Click here for graphs and data of how Derbyshire Dales has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bradwell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bradwell in Derbyshire Dales | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4024

Date accessed: 25th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bradwell ".