Place:


Fairfield  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Fairfield like this:

FAIRFIELD, a chapelry in Hope parish, Derby; near the Buxton railway, 1 mile ENE of Buxton. It has a post office under Buxton. Acres, 3, 914. Real property, £6, 093; of which £61 are in gas-works. Pop. in 1851, 574; in 1861, 1, 075. Houses, 185. The manor belongs to the Duke of Devonshire. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £160. Patrons, Trustees. The church was rebuilt in 1839. There is a Wesleyan chapel. An endowed school has £39.

Fairfield through time

Fairfield is now part of High Peak district. Click here for graphs and data of how High Peak has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Fairfield itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Fairfield, in High Peak and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/409

Date accessed: 25th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Fairfield ".