Place:


Otterbourne  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Otterbourne like this:

OTTERBOURNE, a village and a parish in Winchester district, Hants. The village stands in the valley of the river Itchin, near the Southwestern railway, 2¼ miles N N E of Bishopstoke r. station, and 4 S by W of Winchester; was known, at Domesday, as Otreburne, a name signifying the "bourne" or river of otters; and has a post-office under Winchester. ...


The parish contains also the places called Boyatt, Fern-Hill, Alebrook, and Bramnbridge. Acres, 1, 508. Real property, £2, 807. Pop., 573. Houses, 117. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Magdalen college, Oxford. A medal of Julius Cæsar, in as good preservation as though it had been newly stamped, and ensign relics of the Roman army, were found here about 1740; and were thought by Dr. Milner to be considerable evidence that at least a part of Cæsar's army had penetrated hither, and had here suffered a defeat by the Britons. The living is a rectory, annexed to the vicarage of Hursley, in the diocese of Winchester. The chancel of the old church remains, but is used only at funerals. The new church was built in 1839, at a cost of £4,000; and is an interesting cruciform edifice of blue brick. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel and a national school.

Otterbourne through time

Otterbourne is now part of Winchester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Winchester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Otterbourne itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Otterbourne, in Winchester and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5171

Date accessed: 26th February 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Otterbourne ".